Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Jonesborough Storytelling Guild Experience 1

[This post has been published to the past using blogger's scheduling feature]

I was able, with several of my fellow classmates, to make the trek to Jonesborough to hear the storytelling guild. I must admit to having mixed reactions to the tellers themselves, not just the storiest that they told.

The first story was an audition to join the guild, told by an Ashevillian. I don't know if I spelled this correctly, but auto-correct wants to change it to Vaudevillian (Brandon would approve). The story was an adaptation of Han Christian Andersen's “The Happy Family.”

The second was a future-story, detailing the yet-to-be-taken trip the Jonesborough Storytelling Guild will be taking to St. Louis. This story began humorously enough, but turned into an appeal for money (after I had already given my $3 at the door).

Bill Lepp rounded out the first half of the show. I will reserve my comments about Bill until tomorrow's master class with him.

Finally, the featured teller was Judge Isaac Freeman. He was funny, but very tied to a geography, particularly certain Elizabethton and West Virginia families. The good is he knows his audience. The bad is that I think I missed something.

Overall the experience left me with mixed feelings. How do I put this in the nicest way? The wildly varying abilities of the tellers showcased at the Jonesborough Storytelling Guild meeting give me some comfort in my own abilities, but also some reservations about the future of our art.


This is coupled with the reality that this community is – as a rector friend of puts it – one good influenza outbreak away from being no more.  

No comments:

Post a Comment