Monday, July 27, 2015

Storytellers Can't Exist in a Vacuum

I've already admitted to this assembly that I mostly practice in a vacuum. Once again, Doug Lipman takes me to task for such behavior, not because of the reasons outlined in a previous post, but this time because the lack of a support system can be detrimental to the storyteller's health.

I was intrigued by Doug's idea of “barter buddies” (183). He writes, “'Barter buddies,' unlike parallel playmates, divide their time together. Each acts as helper for half the time and gets helped for the remainder” (183). I have friends, I have hired help, I have parallel playmates, but I don't have barter buddies.

Often what I look for in doing the work of the courses at ETSU are the connections I can make with my classmates and practice routines that take with me into my storytelling future. In this instance, my two goals are one. I don't have any storytelling “barter buddies” and I need some. Maybe someone reading this is in the same boat. Who will come with me on this journey?

It strikes me a little pathetic – a thirty-six year old man asking for buddies on the internet – but I hope this community knows what I am talking about and we can oblige, if not each other than others in the class.


-Bob

4 comments:

  1. This summer I have observed and felt the enormous power of collaborative support, and seen how it has helped my work, so can I jump in your canoe, Bob, and paddle with you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. not pathetic... smart...I would love barter buddies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely! Smith writes about the need for support too. Especially coming from a distance the need to get feedback and have inquiring questions is really important!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would also like to be your barter buddy---actually, I can't imagine a storyteller not needing this kind of support. And with FaceTime---we can actually see and hear each other. Perhaps this entire class can continue out of the classroom---as barter buddies.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete