Monday, July 27, 2015

Support and Mentoring

     I have really enjoyed listening to everybody for the past two classes.  The stories like my classmates are funny, reflective, insightful, thoughtful, authentic, emotional, dramatic, intriguing, and inspiring. I was impressed with the stature and poise of my classmates.
     Also, I have enjoyed telling in a large boisterous class.  So often classes have been small and to practice telling to a larger audience was very helpful.  Together, we have created a safe place which is no small thing.
     I have been reading tonight Smith's thoughts on mentor and support.  Some of it reminds me of "A Room of One's Own" but that doesn't make it any less so.  Look how everyone is blossoming in this environment.  I would love to see what would happen over an even longer period of time.  But then I also wouldn't be able to suspend my life any longer than I already have, and that in essence contributes to the magic.
     Some of what I heard Smith say is to pick a mentor because of the strength and authenticity they bring to the table, and from that perspective you are all my mentors tonight.
   

4 comments:

  1. Funny that you mention "A room of one's own." I read it years ago and it was a significant influence then earlier this summer I kept thinking about it, could not find my copy and so bought another copy...it's sitting here on my desk.

    There seems to be a ground swell of desire to keep the energy, support, and inspiration going after the conclusion of this class. It is so valuable and rare in my day to day life. I feel so privileged.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie this isn't on topic with what you said, but I just wanted to share how much I loved your story. I know I talked about how I loved the fairy tale aspect of it already. But I felt that the whole story was so relatable. I'm still kind of processing all of the reasons why I really liked it. But it played with so many interesting themes like forgiveness, friendship, fitting in, coming to terms with an ogre, and more. It was just a really touching story and I don't think I have the right words to say all of the nice things I'd like to say about it. Thank you for sharing! As for your post I agree 100%. Especially with the - would love to see what would happen if we could stay longer but it's difficult to suspend life any longer than how far it has been suspended already. Heading into the 3rd week here I think a lot of us are feeling the pull back into our daily lives. E-mails from work, things that come up from home, just things reminding us that our time here is limited. But that is so lovely that you compared that tug and pull back to our regular lives, and the limited time we have left, to be things that contribute to the magic of the class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aimee I am honored. Thank you for your response. I thought our stories had certain similarities too.

    ReplyDelete