Monday, July 20, 2015

A Prisoner of Hope

I enjoyed today's class and I cannot help but think of the can-do attitude of our group as a whole. One of the course books that I have really been savoring is Letters to a Young Artist. As I wrote in a previous post, this is a book that I wish I had encountered over half my life ago. It is as if she is telling large portions of my story.

Imagine my surprise when I read one of my mantras written right there on page 160. She quotes one of my heroes, Dr. Cornel West on the difference between hope and optimism. As I have heard Dr. West speak of this before, it is an idea that I have incorporated into my own life. I even have a “Prisoner of Hope” bumpersticker. What I wish would have been included in the quote is what Dr. West sometimes adds. Dr. West has said, “I'm a bluesman. I'm a prisoner of hope.” I like the idea of of singing even when the soul is low. The Prophet Zechariah calls the people Israel, “Prisoners of Hope” (Zech. 9:12). This is echoed in Dr. West's experience (certainly) as a metaphorical bluesman.

How much of this, I wonder, is in professor Novak's aforementioned “Angel Managers” who handle the business side of his bondage to this hopeful art called storytelling?


-Bob

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the addition to this quote, Bob. Yep, I can relate to being a prisoner - even a hostage - to hope. There is another quote I have at home that goes along with:
    "Faith makes things possible...not easy" (don't know the attribution)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob, I wish I'd encountered Smith's book long ago too, but for a different reasons. I regret not having it earlier because it is NOT my story, because I was a corporate drone for some 30 years or so, and lacked the self confidence and role models/ mentors that could have encouraged me to pursue what I really loved. I am having a hard time embracing the notion of being an artist so late in the game, so I don't feel she's speaking to me just yet.

    ReplyDelete