Monday, July 20, 2015

story research

Once again I was left with a case of curiosity to appease after class. Last Friday my curiosity concerned the background and references for Tzitel's tale about the snake and frog. I searched until I found the relevant information and felt satisfied.  Today's tale that sparked my curiosity was the one Brandon told from Iceland. Immediately, I had to research the Icelandic folklorists Jon Arnason and Magnus Grimsson. It was interesting to me to note that unlike the Grimm brothers, these two Icelandic men could not afford to travel to collect their stories. Instead they relied on former and current students to send them stories. Also, I was surprised at the seeming controversy about whether or not Iceland is an Arctic country. According to the article I read, there are three possible ways to define Arctic country and Iceland only fits one of those definitions. So, thanks to Brandon for piquing my curiosity with his tale from Iceland.

No comments:

Post a Comment