Sunday, July 26, 2015

Presence, Presence II, and Ultimate Presence

I have come to enjoy the weekend reflect-on-the-week time that I have settled into (both weekends of our class time now). This has been a time to really connect the themes of the week with the readings in a broader way. Last Saturday I wrote about form and the importance thereof in preparing and presenting a story.

This Saturday, I turn from form to presence. Presence is a word that we have used since our first day of class. It is important enough that Anna Deavere Smith devoted three chapters of Letters to a Young Artist to it. I read all of three chapters on it and Smith calls it her “favorite subject” (11), but I found something that will be of use to me in storytelling and in my career.

In my vocation, presence is a buzzword. How is so-and-so's liturgical presence? Can he or she fill the space? These are questions that I have heard more than I care to admit. I was struck by Smith's answer to the question of presence in a way that will inform my life's work going forward. Smith writes: “Presence can be magical. It can delight the people around you. Think of when you were a kid, and you had a favorite friend, or favorite relative – something enchanted you – presence is enchanting. And it does not always have to do with what a person actually is. It is what you wish they were. ” (17).

Gold. Just gold.


-Bob

2 comments:

  1. Did you notice she started and ended the book with a letter on presence. After reading her book, I began reading a book she mentioned "The Presence of the Actor" by Joseph Chaikin. I have it with me but have not had a chance to read any more of it these last couple weeks, if you want to borrow it this week - let me know. What I've read so far is great. It's a quality that fascinates me.

    ReplyDelete