Tuesday, July 28, 2015

The Death of Cool

The "death of cool" would "bring more tones" "more color" "more emotion" "more love" "more raw spirit" "more argument" and "more energy." It would bring "more authenticity" "more compassion" "more laughter" "more tears" and "more open hearts." - page 193,  Letters to a Young Artist.

ADS talks about a discussion she had with one of my favorite trumpet players, Wynton Marsalis. In this conversation, Wynton said, "Cool is... cool is you don't show emotion. Cool is you never raise your voice."

This is kind of a bit of note taking I am publicly doing to not keep falling behind in the blog posts. But I have written a bunch of comments today on others' posts explaining why I loved their stories. I think that between the beginning of class and now we are all learning to be "less cool" when needed and trying to find the right balance between cool and warm expressions.

Sitting at a table yesterday in the Zentangle class, Cynthia was explaining that she didn't have to take basic storytelling because of her previous experience. It had come up somehow in the conversation. Whereas I was on the opposite end of the spectrum, I was explaining to Wenny. When I was taking the basic and foundational classes I was the student that looked like they got off at the wrong bus stop.

But I told Dwayne when I got here, when I spent hours working on stories, writing them out, thinking about them and trying to unravel them and then wind them back up, that I wanted to fight that stereotype. I wanted to fight to be like everyone else. I wanted to get to tell stories and feel like there is no ceiling so there's never a moment where I just "stop learning" and "its enough."

Thank you David for this class where we have all learned so much. When we tell it will never show all of what you have taught us so far. The neat thing about teaching a class is that you'll still be teaching us months from now without even having to do any work. Because we'll be making new connections and new realizations and threading it all together to things you introduced to us. You gave us hooks to hang new ideas off of, and always encouraged us to keep fighting to become better versions of ourselves, better storytellers than ourselves.

We're not in a race against each other but against ourselves. I feel like we're all a bit faster and stronger than when we arrived. And how could anyone put a price on that? So I just wanted to express my thanks.

3 comments:

  1. Aimee you write eloquently! I remember in college realizing I wasn't cool I was hot. No not in the oh she's hot, but I was fiery and emotional and passionate and at times out of control. Aging has cooled some of my fire. However, it is in those embers and flames that the passion for creativity, or social justice, or the strive to simply live a good kind life of right action takes place.
    Cool can die many deaths in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all bring our gifts and demons with us. I have felt so privileged to be with a such an eclectic group. And throughout our sharing in discourse and presentations I have been floored by the insight, authenticity, intelligence, humor, commitment, kindness, compassion, experiences, creativity, and willingness to step out on a limb and dive in the deep end. And what's so great with this group is we all know we are there for each other, none of us is out there alone...and with this wild group we are safe and in good hands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was so well written Aimee, and I can only second it. I do think that I have learned so much in this class and that the learning will continue for quite some time even after the class is over, as I apply what we have taken in. It is kind of like when I take the train to Malmö to buy 20 bars of vegan chocolate. It should last me quite a long time at home in my fridge (unless one of my sons goes on a chocolate eating frenzy). Of course, in this case, no one can take our chocolate (valuable learning) from our fridge. + Laurina

    ReplyDelete