Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Having first observed my classmates’ stories and then read part one of the Rodenburg text, I might be off in my observations, but I think I was, this morning, surrounded by some of the most natural voice-owning people in my life. I am referring to Rodenburg’s idea of the “natural voice” which is opposed to an externally or internally caused habitual voice. 
Everyone in our class seemed to speak with a very clear, calm and natural voice, his or her own voice, rather than ones impressed upon them by outside forces. Most were outspoken, strong, but not overbearing, and full of character and color. I particularly appreciated Bill’s falcetto little girl character. The exception, Winnie, told the story of how her grandson had “chosen” the negative consequences of his improper actions by choosing to continue the bad actions. She was quieter than others, which I took to be nervousness, but was in fact her own natural voice, quiet, but not nervous, calm and collected, but engaging.
I especially noticed and appreciated open use of natural dialects particularly because I, as a Michigander, don’t have one (kidding!). Bob’s warm southern drawl, Idilio’s Hispanic accent and Joy’s friendly New York accent all felt authentic and unashamed. 
These classmates were people who had pushed past their vocal habits and now spoke and tale-told naturally and I am so happy they are my classmates!

No comments:

Post a Comment