Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Moving from one story to another

In any given week, tellers from the Jonesborough Storytellers Guild present one hour of stories (which usually vary widely from each other in terms of content and meaning---unlike a SLAM, the tellers don't work with a theme in mind). Yet each teller used pieces of previous stories in their tellings---and it almost seemed planned/orchestrated (although I knew it was not).
This is essentially what we were doing in class the last two days. On Monday, I struggled to understand when I should "take my turn." Truthfully, I was looking for subject matter similar to my story---the connector being a word, action or character. What I learned in class (and it was reinforced at the guild performances tonight) is that the connector may be the meaning and values inherent in the previous teller's story.
Joy


No comments:

Post a Comment