Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Day 1 Reflections

I was actually surprised as I heard about the data when it came out in the early 1990s opinion poll asking the American public what frightened them most. The resulting data concluded that public speaking was feared by the general population more than "loneliness , financial worries ... even death!" (Rodenburg, 1991, p.8).

I know my husbands voice and can pick it out of a crowd, the same is true with my children and grandchildren. Their particular pitches and rhythms are so familiar to me. But today in class I heard so many varied voices, with a multitude of inflections, pitches and rhythms. Also a variety of accents were exhibited, some feigned and others the speakers' norm. Some examples were the male voice in high pitched imitation of a young girl, or the low, smooth flow of a trickster's persuasive vocalizing. I sensed no 'vocal imperialism' as northern accents mixed with western, eastern and southern for a pleasing variety while one story unfolded after another. I was enveloped in each telling and felt grateful for a morning well spent (Rodenburg, 1991, p.5).                              
     

No comments:

Post a Comment