Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Day 2 Reflections

I am enjoying a cohort that contains such variety in career areas, goals, and experiences. Beyond the storytelling profession our ranks include the ministry, law, teachers, artists, non-profits, advocates, a vaudevillian, and corporate professionals. I could happily listen to your stories through the day. Thank you.

"Don't turn your back on the story."  Perhaps a sideways view of the story can provide new perspective, understanding. David Novak asked two questions, "Why did you tell that story" and "What do you like about your story?" Well, 'Choosing Vinegar' came to mind while listening to the first five stories  and thinking about how much our seven grandsons would enjoy hearing them too. One thing I like about that story is how it reminds me to be ever aware of teaching moments. We never know which story will change a life, inspire a sudden epiphany, or provide a much needed
moment of comradery and respite from worldly cares. Perhaps the value of this story is a reminder that our rewards and struggles often come by results of the steps we ourselves choose to take.

2 comments:

  1. That is so true! I love how you said, "We never know which story will change a life, inspire a sudden epiphany, or provide a much needed moment of comradery and respite from worldly cares." And I enjoyed reading how you analyzed the "Choosing Vinegar" story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your comment and story about teaching moments. I have found that stories have provided many teaching moments in our family. I often offer stories to my sons or their friends as a way to provide insight without pushing it at them. - Laurina

    ReplyDelete