Monday, July 13, 2015

Right Story at the Right Time

I've been thinking about presence, and what "the right story at the right time" might mean. I was thinking about this later on, sometime after class, when Mr. Novak (David? Master Novak? I wonder if he'd let us call him Master Novak) brought up that "if you get any two stories together in a room, they will have something to say to each other." I thought about that, and that had me a bit confused, because I was thinking, "If that's so, then what about 'the right story at the right time?' Wouldn't that make any story the right story at the right time?"

I had been thinking about what made a story the "right" story, getting caught up in trying to find patterns in story-order today according to genre, trope, subject matter, tone, themes, and the like. But I think that while any of those things might contribute to making a story fit somewhere within a conversation, it's not any of those things that actually makes a story the right story at the right time. I think it might be more about presence, and what Patsy Rodenberg calls "the desire, need, care [or] passion to touch someone with words." Basically, it's caring enough to be present, and feeling when you have something to say that contributes. There are no rules as to when this might be--it's not about being able to match genre, or subject matter, or any overt characteristic of the story at all. Any two stories could potentially border each other.

One interesting effect of this is that when you're trying to tell the "right story at the right time," you're acknowledging a frame outside the frame of your own story and performance, and you shape your performance to contribute to that frame. For instance, Chris told his story with a different tone, with a bit more gravitas (despite the lightness), because he followed Bob's story. With this mindset you're not performing in isolation, you're performing in context. And I think this mindset might be a great skill to try to carry over to storytelling performance in general--in a way, we're always performing in context. We might not always be following another teller, but we're always (ideally) having a conversation with the audience. Knowing how to listen, to pick up on what is framing their experience, to find a way to tell within that context, might be a way to turn performance into conversation.

5 comments:

  1. Chelise,

    As we "rock, paper, scissored" our speaking order for second to last and last, I see through your post, that we were struggling with the same thing-- the "right story at the right time".

    Thank you for admitting to taking a risk by sharing a personal story rather than folktale. Not only were you authentic and real, but this empowered me to share a personal (although the truth stretched) story as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Between Chris's story and Bob's story, Amy provided us with a little comic relief. With all that serious emotion, we needed a chance to laugh and release tension. I find it interesting that you forgot this story in between.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chelise, you nailed it, as usual. A deep awareness of context helps the teller provide the right story at the right time. "Seeing" what's happening in the moment between teller and listeners, "seeing" what story speaks to it, especially to what is unspeakable at that moment. (thanks, Shonaleigh)

    As a new teller this is SO hard for me, because my ears turn inside out when I am a teller-listener ... a teller waiting through other stories to share mine. As I wait, I am bombarded by my inner critic railing at me and scaring me with pronouncements of my deficiencies. That makes for quite a struggle to hear over that voice, to hear/see/sense what is happening around me. I am hoping I have some success silencing that harridan so I can be present for the group over the next 3 weeks.

    Cathy aka CatFur

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy - I know that voice so well, and that is so validating to hear. You are fantastic; next time that voice goes off, remember that you have at least one fan!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete