Wednesday, July 15, 2015

my reason for storytelling

I didn't find the opportunity to speak on day 2 when we were talking about our reason for becoming storytellers, so I will post here instead. I was raised as a story listener with a father who always told stories, not formally but informally. He told stories to everyone he met, from rich and famous to homeless people. Everyone received a smile and a story. My father's favorite place to sit was in his lazy boy chair in the living room, and people would come in to listen to him. Steven Spielberg is possibly the most famous person who spent a couple of hours listening to my father's stories in his living room.  Of course, there were other actors, rich people, ordinary people and even the governor of Oregon.  I found it interesting that Julie mentioned names and labels, because my father never used a label as a storyteller. He just shared stories. As his only child, I was privileged to listen to his stories over and over. I also had a great-aunt who shared her stories with me at each visit, usually with the use of a photo. If that wasn't enough, I also visited all the elderly neighbors after school for cookies and stories. So, I was first a story listener, and that was my culture and heritage.

In 1993, I was asked to tell Native American stories at an event in Sweden, which I agreed to do. After that I answered each calling for other's who wanted to hear me tell. I tell stories because it is my heritage and culture, and I believe it brings honor and respect to my ancestors.

In Sweden, I love that there are stories all around us. My sons and I can go for a walk in the forest and know that there are stories about certain rocks or trees or lakes. Their grandpa Filip shared many such stories with us on years of hikes in the forest before he died at the age of 95. When we ride our bikes past the St Magnhild spring, I recall the story for my sons. When we enter the cathedral in Lund, the church workers share the story over and over of the troll who built the church almost 1000 years ago. When we ride our bikes past the bronze age burial ground, my sons and I read the story on the plaque or we make up our own. Our society is one filled with stories, and fortunately many stories are passed on from generation to generation.

I had looked at the ETSU program for several years, but the opportunity to begin had never presented itself. Then when I couldn't return home to Sweden in 2014, I realized this was the perfect opportunity to study with the graduate program at ETSU. I am of the opinion that every problem is really an opportunity in disguise.  Anyway, this is the short version of why I became a storyteller and joined the program at ETSU. -Laurina

3 comments:

  1. Laurina it is evident that you are enjoying these summer classes. Perhaps it is the joy we feel boosting the energy levels of the group, just as the vermiculture boosts nutritive levels in fruiting and flowering plant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laurina it is evident that you are enjoying the summer classes. Perhaps our joy boosts the energy levels of the group, just as vermiculture boosts the nutritive values in fruiting and flowering plants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laurina, that was such a beautiful post. I really enjoyed reading about the influence that your father played in how you grew in your love of stories. I also loved how you said, "every problem is really an opportunity in disguise." What an inspirational way of looking at things. Your post encouraged me and made my day a little bit to read it. I'm really glad that you joined up with the storytelling program in 2014 and that you're here in the program today! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete